HacKH The Crisis was an online hackathon set up in order to bring the community together to rapidly create solutions to the unique challenges Cambodia is facing due to COVID-19. The 48h online hackathon was held on 3-5 April.
The project was initiated by Slash, Impact Hub Phnom Penh and the state-owned NIPTICT, and supported by the Ministry of Post and Telecommunication (MPTC), and the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (MEYS) in Cambodia.
In a record time of 1-week from inception on 27 March to execution on 3 April, the HacKH the Crisis initiative brought together 206 participants, 56 mentors (local and overseas) and 79 challenges. It was covered in national media and supported by ministers.
The catalogue of 33 solutions that came out of the hackathon can be found on this Airtable. Among the best initiatives:
- ArrowDot developed a respirator based on open-sourced MIT plans. It costs $200 instead of typical respirators of $30k.
- AgriSmart developed a cheap and accessible protective face shield made of bamboo for local people and to support healthcare practitioners. Within one week of the hackathon, the production line was running at full capacity.
- MeetDoctor: Telehealth app connecting patients to doctors from home.
- NIPTICT introduced their OpenTraceKh app, inspired by the TraceTogether app from the Singapore government.
- Kampu Sokha aims to reduce the spread and fear of COVID-19 by providing a way of reliable self-diagnosis, map, news and monitoring.
- Eat2Donate: Collecting and distributing donated meals to healthcare workers in Russian Hospital and also communities via Friend’s Internationals.
- COVID-19 Schedule- A portal that allows people to reserve their place in the queue for being tested for COVID-19.
- COVID Farmer Hack aims to help farmers deal with the loss of income and food security during this crisis.
- 606 – COVID-19 Video Series of “The Good Things That Happen” in this catastrophe, such as kindness, invention, new policies and cooperation to prevent the spread from every individual.
- TraceSave: An app that uses Bluetooth to alert users if they had close contact with a COVID-19 case.
- Check also the high quality masks made of lotus microfibers from SAMATOA LOTUS TEXTILES!
- Jizo, introduced their self-quarantine app
- Some of the press releases can be found here